Saturday, August 22, 2009

Vicious Summer Storm Whips Through Ontario


This summer has been a rollercoaster ride for weird and wacky weather. On Thursday night a vicious storm rolled into southern Ontario. Before the storm hit that night, I took the dogs out for a quick walk. When I got to my local coffee shop, I looked to the west and was struck by the looming darkness. So I decided that it would be best to get home as quickly as possible. When I got to the courtyard of my building, I looked west again and saw thick masses of dark cloud moving swiftly eastward illuminated by spectacular flashes of lightning and tinted with green (the signature of an impending tornado). Thunder rumbled in the distance. Within minutes these dark clouds were over the courtyard, then like a flood the rain came pouring down whipped by strong gusts of wind. This storm was now upon us.

At one point during the storm a tremendous burst of wind came out of nowhere and catapulted objects from surrounding balconies. The following morning I learned that a small tornado had blown through downtown Toronto not far from where I live.

In the storm's aftermath, the devastation was extensive. In all, five tornadoes had touched down in Ontario and had left a swath of destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment