Tuesday, July 21, 2009

New Hard Drive for Time Machine



Several weeks ago the 500GB SATA drive which I had installed into an enclosure a few months before started to show signs of impending failure. All sorts of strange grinding noises began emanating from the case. Prior to the noises, the drive exhibited some other strange behaviour. When mounted on my Macbook Pro Desktop, the drive would vanish from the Desktop after a short period of time and refused to remount. Only after allowing the drive to rest for a while would it then remount.

This afternoon I finally decided to venture to Canada Computers and buy a new drive for my enclosure. I decided that a 1 TB (terabyte) drive was a real bargain and so I purchased one. Once I got home, it only took me a few minutes to pull out the old drive, swap it with the new one, and format it. Immediately thereafter, I began a Time Machine backup, which I knew would take several hours to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment