Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Old Clothes: A Second Life




On July 11, 2009, Fred, a frequent patron of Java Jive, my favourite coffee shop, and a dear friend to many there (including myself), passed away. Since his death, Kevin, a very close friend of Fred and also someone who frequents the coffee shop, undertook the task of sorting out and dispersing his belongings. Yesterday Kevin stopped by the coffee shop to talk to me. The focus of the conversation was Fred's clothes.

After our little chat, we walked over to Fred's apartment. Upon entering, I felt a wave of sadness as I looked around. It was only months before that I had helped him move in.

Once there, Kevin presented me with all sorts clothing options: shorts, pants, shirts, a leather jacket, and a couple of suit jackets. I tried on some of them and they fit me like a glove. So I sorted through the piles and collected what I wanted. For me, this was a boon since I am not working at the moment and money is, therefore, tight. I greatly appreciated the opportunity to see some of this clothing get a second life.

No comments:

Post a Comment