Sunday, December 20, 2009

Nipple Piercing Gets Infected :(

In mid-September I had my nipples pierced. For about two months thereafter, I had no issues with the piercings at all. The healing process proceeded without incident. Then in the latter half of November, I noticed that my left nipple had begun to swell. At first I didn't think too much of it. However, as the days progressed, my nipple continued to swell as the fluid, and the associated pressure caused by the fluid, continued to build up in and around it. It soon became painful. Eventually, I decided to resume the nipple soakings with sea salt solution to see if this would alleviate it. While the soakings provided some measure of comfort and some of the fluid discharged during these sessions, they didn't resolve it.

At the beginning of December I decided to pay a visit to the Doctor's Office, a walk-in clinic, just minutes from my apartment. I got there first thing in the morning. Normally quite a busy place, I didn't have to wait too long before I saw a doctor.

After the doctor examined me, he said that I should have come in sooner. He explained that I had two options. The first option was invasive and would involve lancing, draining and packing the infected area. On a daily basis I would have to visit the clinic to have the packing changed. He also explained that the initial procedure would leave a scar. In contrast, the second option was more benign and involved getting a prescription for penicillin. While taking the penicillin at this stage didn't guarantee that the infection would be conquered, I decided to take this course of action first.

A couple of weeks have now passed and the penicillin has, to my great relief, worked its magic. The concentration of fluid in and around my left nipple has decreased substantially. But I am still being very careful. Each day I am taking the time in the shower to wash it gently with Ivory soap and rinse it thoroughly afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment